Saturday, June 1, 2013

Take Note!

Being a soapmaker, there really isn't a shortage of soap around my house. I have a lot of soap, what can I say? I'm addicted to making soap.

I still had a few soaps hanging around from my last soap swap. The Autumn one, so I have a lot of spicy ones to choose from. Well I chose the one that smelled like cinnamon. Even knowing that cinnamon is a sensitizer I used it. My hands aren't all that sensitive, but let me tell you, that luscious cinnamon smelling soap really did a number on them. Nothing bad, just my hands were dry and itchy. Really itchy! I'm glad I didn't try it on my face and that Cowboy Preacher didn't use it (he likes to use the hand soap in a pump).

I decided that after that little fiasco, I needed a super mild soap to help me get over the cinnamon. You have to understand, I love cinnamon. It is just smells wonderful and so homey to me. I went thorough my soap boxes looking for a nice soap. I found a bar that must be 3 years old at least. It was an old goat's milk soap from before we moved to Arkansas. I made it for babies.

What is the point of this post? Well, I love the mildest of that old goat's milk bar. It really helped. It doesn't have the bubbles I love, but it has a great feel and it doesn't leave my hands feeling dry. I wasn't so great at taking notes at the beginning of my soapmaking adventure. I like to experiment a lot, playing with a base soap recipe. So as you may have caught on, I didn't take great notes on this bar.

It is sad to know that I made a really great bar of soap and I may never replicate it again! I know it has olive oil and maybe shea butter and it definately has goat's milk, but I don't know what else I may have put in the soap. I even remember the fragrance I used, but the recipe is gone. My memory isn't what it used to be. So my point is: take notes of your creations so you can create them more than once.

Of course I know that some of you just won't. How do I know? I was once like that. I saw any number of times others telling me to take good notes. Did I listen? Well, yes eventually, but at first, not remotely. Ah, how wonderful it would be if I had taken better notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment