Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mother's Day Project


I know that I am doing things backwards, after all Mother's Day has come and gone. It really doesn't take much to throw my schedule off whack and of course I had a dozy. My son, Kael, is doing much better. Hopefully someone else can learn from our mistakes.

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day. To be honest, we don't do too much around the Harvey Household. It was a lovely lazy day after Morning Worship. I had fun.

The week before Mother's Day, my Children's Church started a Mother's Day project. I had the kiddos make Bath Bombs or Bath Fizzies to give to their mother's. That day was rainy. You don't make good bath bombs on a humid day, usually. Since it was cold, I cranked up the heater to help dry out the air, big mistake. Sometimes I forget living in the desert that I might have to adjust a recipe that others have used successfully. Of course, I did fiddle around with the recipe with my own additions and substitutions.

My children were the only kiddos there that day, so basically, my family made the fizzies to give away. Lol, oh well. The boys had fun measuring and mixing. I did end up having to take over and molding the fizzies. The mix was incredibly dry, most likely due to the addition of the rose clay. The clay was more for the color than anything. I don't have any colorants.
Mother's Day I had the kiddos decorate some small bags to package the fizzies and they made cards with the ingredients listed. We had a small showing of kiddos, so I had some leftover, which I gave to the ladies who stayed for the Mother's Day Tea the men put together.

Here is the Recipe:

Rosy Bath Bombs

2 cups Baking Soda
1/4 cup Epsom Salt
1 cup Citric Acid
1 tbsp E-Wax
2 tbsps Sweet Almond Oil (I ended up using 3 tbsps)
2 ml of Rose FO
1 ml of Chinatown
1/4 cup dried Rose Petals
1 tbsp Rose Kaolin Clay

I'm not going to go into the instructions, you can find some all over the web. I had to also spritz the mixture liberally with water. Can't tell ya how much I used, but I did it until it was crumbly enough to mold. Which was WAY more than most of the directions I've seen. I'm guessing cause I'm in a dry climate and I used the clay.

I used a silicon mold I found at Goodwill. It was a Pampered Chef item. I loved the detailed rose but I have to say, I probably won't be using it again for bath bombs. The silicon gave too much for an adequate pack. I wanted a nice solid fizzy that would take a long time to fizz. I will be using it for soap though.

All in all, it turned out quite well. I used mine last night and I loved it. I'll probably tweak the recipe a bit more, but it is a good one as is with a little work. The kids had fun and I sure hope the Mothers' liked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment